Monday, October 26, 2009

Woof

            On my way to the Metro the other morning I saw, through the rusted gate of my neighbor’s chain link fence, a German shepherd resting on the stoop. It caught my eye because it was so large, its body spilling off the sides, legs stretched across the top two steps.
I stood there watching it, when I was suddenly overcome with the urge to say hello. I felt that since we were both incapable of communicating with our surroundings we would be able to understand each other.
            But when I introduced myself, and squeezed my arm through the gate so it might come and shake my hand, the dog scarcely perked its ears, and when it saw I held no treat it did not give me a second glance. It dropped its head into its paws and yawned, revealing rows of yellowed teeth, the black spots on its tongue.





2 comments:

  1. Ross, my man, I love your writing but question if it is fact or fiction due to you trying to pet a dog. I am in Krakow, Poland right now and wish I wasn't with a group of students so i could come over and see you. I love Eastern Europe and have always wanted to do a Prague, Krakow, Budapest, and Vienna tour. Maybe you will have ime after your class to do some traveling. You should do it all and take advantage of our youth. Feel free to e-mail me anytime. Take care, Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ross's writing also, but I know for a fact that it is not fiction. Thanks to Trout, Ross has developed an affinity for dogs! Ross is definitely part of the exclusive circle of friends and family whom Trout favors. His barking often means, "I've missed you and am so happy to see you. How 'bout a bone?" Naturally, you need to know dogspeak to recognize the difference between that greeting and, "I'm not so sure about you, and if you try to harm anyone in this house, you'll be sorry. But, how about a bone, anyway!"

    Love your stories, Ross, so keep them coming. They will make a great book--Travels With Ross! Hope things are going well for you . Love, Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete